Our family enjoys eating hearty salads for dinner, and the Southwest Chicken salad is a favorite in our house. As a general practice, each week I cook up chicken breast so that we have it in the refrigerator throughout the week for a quick, easy meal.
My preferred method to cook chicken breast is in unrefined coconut oil and in a cast iron skillet seasoned with Trader Joe’s Everything Seasoning. I tend to use this cooking method for many recipes and also just to have chicken to snack on. Of course, if you are a griller, grilled chicken would also be excellent. However, since our family is one that is fair-weather-grilling-only, here in the Pacific Northwest we usually only grill in the summertime.
Cooking the chicken in coconut oil and using avocado oil in the dressing, along with topping the salad with fresh avocados, provides your body with plenty of healthy fats. I hope you enjoy this clean-eating salad recipe as much as we do!
Some of the links may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link it helps support this website at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure for questions.
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tbs. fresh lime juice or bottled organic lime juice
- 1 tea. sugar (I have used honey or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener before)
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tea. sea salt
- 1/4 tea. ground pepper
- 1/2 tea. chili powder
- Baby Greens Mix
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup chopped red and green peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved, sliced or quartered
- 1 sliced avocado
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake, set aside
- On a bed of greens spread chicken, beans, corn, onions and peppers.
- Top with tomato and sliced avocado.
- Drizzle dressing and serve.